The Embassy of Canada in Italy has recently announced the eleventh edition of the Canada-Italy Innovation Award 2023. This award aims at strengthening the links between the two countries with regard to innovation, contributing to the development of strong, new or established, relationships between researchers and scientific institutions.
The initiative is addressed to Italian applicants – including start-ups, innovation experts, researchers, scientists, or creative industry professionals – who are interested in developing collaborative projects with Canadian partners in areas that will drive innovative, inclusive and sustainable socio-economic development. In particular, projects must address one or more of the following thematic priorities, which are aligned with Government of Canada policy priorities:
- mental health, a psychological condition that is essential for a healthy growth;
- collection and recycling of critical minerals – such as copper, lithium, nickel, cobalt and rare earth elements – that are essential components in many of today’s rapidly growing clean energy technologies;
- production, storage, and transport of hydrogen as an energy source to combat climate change;
- quantum technology, highly promising for applications that can enhance our lives;
- preventing gender-based violence, to promote and protect human rights, freedom of expression and inclusive democracies.
In the years since the Canada-Italy Innovation Award was established, it has resulted in transformational discoveries, research and applications that showcase the significant impact of Canada-Italy cooperation.
Applications to this year’s edition can be submitted in English or French by 3 April 2023: the winners will be announced on 16 May 2023.